Thursday, September 1, 2011

Athletics and the spiritual life

Presently, in Daegu, South Korea, the world Athletics Championships are being held.  In Jamaica, this is a big event since many of the world's fastest sprinters are Jamaican or Jamaican born.  Even though Jamaica is not doing very well in the medal totals thus far, this reminds me of a wonderful verse of Scripture from St. Paul.  "Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize?  Run so as to win.  Every athlete exercises discipline in every way.  They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one.  Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing.  No I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified." (1 Cor. 9: 24-27)

All of this goes well with a book I have recently read and some audio CD's I am currently listening to: Spiritual Combat Revisited and CD's on the Seven Deadly Sins.  These explain that our spiritual life is truly a combat against all the lies the devil tempts us with: namely the seven deadly sins.  How hard do we train ourselves to fight the good fight?  To run the good race?  Do we spend as much time taking care of our souls as we do our bodies?  These are all questions we need to pose ourselves.  May we be true winners of the real race that counts (with God's help, of course)... holiness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment